Tuesday, September 25, 2012


Pumpkin Patch Devastation

25Sep12

Tonight, I stood by the side of the field, like so many times this summer.  Tonight was different.  I stood sobbing!  Tears rolled down my cheeks.  My chest was heaving with the sobs.  I scarce could believe my eyes as they roamed back and forth, to and fro.  WHY?  Just six days ago, I stood at the same place happy, rejoicing, taking photos and thanking God for the beauty; the growth.  Tonight, the only thing that surfaced was the question WHY?  For six days, God had been restoring my heart with beauty in paradise.   Today, it almost seems like it was in preparation for life events that would take a heavy toll and test my faith.

On Friday night, a horrific storm hit; pounding hail upon the patch.  Today, it looks like something straight from the pits of hell hit; all the plants are shredded and in shambles.  The vines are withered, black; dying.  The pumpkins have large holes piercing their flesh.  It is a scene that I can hardly bear.  We spent hours planting, watering, praying.  The only question in my mind is Why, God?  On Sunday, my daughter’s boyfriend’s uncle went for a drive on his motorcycle.  Today, he is on life support awaiting an organ donor team to “harvest organs.”  They, too, are asking “why?”  I ask Jesus to give them comfort, peace and surround them and hold them with His strong arms.  This type of news did not stop today: a friend is divorcing, another friend has to have heart surgery, another friend is fighting issues with a knee, on and on an endless list of needs, real and devastating.

I look out over the dying vines. The devastation is so real, yet, so symbolic.  This is such a visual example of both heaven and hell on earth.  In this moment, I feel the intense pain of life.  These torn, shredded, vines are like the havoc sin plays on our lives.  We are beaten, torn, left bleeding and dying.  Yet, in the middle of life’s devastation, there is hope.  I see the beautiful yellow blossoms, a sign of life.  Jesus comes to love us in the middle of our storm and devastation. He offers us peace, comfort, new hope and new life.  We need to trust in Him.

As I continue to sob, my tenderhearted son, comes along side and hugs me.  “I’m sorry mom” he utters.  He comforts me.  Isn’t that what Jesus does for us, if we allow Him to?   As I begin to lift my eyes and my heart, deep inside, I know God has a plan. I lift my voice and softly whisper a prayer.  I ask God to come, to bring peace, to show me His plan.  I praise him in the middle of my hurt.  I have felt this hurt before, many times.  My heart has known this place of devastation, destruction, and pain.  I know that God is faithful.  I trust in Him. 

God reminds me that sometimes the WHY answers never come this side of heaven.  One day, we will understand, but today, I must trust in Him.  His ways are better and higher than mine.  He can take the chaos and bring about blessing.  I have to trust in Him.

Life is a journey.  I don’t know what the future holds, but I know the one whom holds the future.  I hear Him whisper Jeremiah 29:12 “For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope.”  I also hear Him say “you will reap a harvest if you do not give up.” “Press on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment